7.9.16

"Good Behavior" Video- Personal Review




Our first video assignment was to create a succinct 30 second video, demonstrating an example of proper behavior at Olathe Northwest. Elements such as the Six Shot System and the 180 degree rule were to be executed in this assignment. This was a sort of initial warm up to practice the basics and start the year.


Pre-Production
Firstly, me and my partner, Blaise, created a hand-drawn storyboard, outlining the shots we wanted to achieve to convey our message- which was cleaning up after yourself when using the girls dressing room. We made sure we used the Six Shot System and had a variety of shots planned out to film, shown by the fact that we made more than would have been a bare minimum.


Filming

Once we had our storyboard created and our ideas organized,we filmed our material. This was beneficial because we were learning how to use the new camera we have access to this year. We used a tripod, varying its height and position to gain a variety of differing angles.

Editing
Finally, we edited it together in a comprehensible order, adding music and color correction. Some of our files did not import, but due to our getting more than necessary, the amount leftover still sufficed. I tried to arrange all the shots we got into a beginning of entering the room, a middle of cleaning, and an end of victoriously gazing upon the cleanliness of the dressing room afterwards. There was one instance in which a shot did not follow the 180 degree rule; so I used a video effect of horizontal flip to amend it.

What Did I Learn?

During this project I learned how to use the film cameras we are using this year, which have proved to be slightly more intensive than the iPads of last year. I learned how to adjust the white balance manually, and zoom and focus. Additionally, this project reminded me that time has to be used wisely to get a project done within deadlines.

What Would I Change?
Upon hypothetically redoing this project, I would make sure I had an abundance of shots necessary to make the short interesting. I would also make sure I handled the SD card properly so it would therefore import all the clips correctly. However, I would maintain the variety of shots I got in relation to the Six Shot System.

What Will I Use in the Future?
Overall, I have learned to always gather a surplus of material in case some of them malfunction or new shots are needed to enhance the clarity of the message. Making sure I am utilizing the new camera correctly will be another side effect of my experiences from this project.

Overall, this was an effective project to reintroduce myself to film after the summer break. It has reminded me of all the necessary rules I must remember so I can advance in newer areas as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment