20.10.15

graphic design

In the video we watched, I learned a great deal behind the purpose of graphic design. On the surface it seems like it's primarily simply for the purpose of being visually appealing- which is a factor- however it has much more merit than that. Graphic design is significant to all aspects of our human life currently; persuasion, attention grabbing, emotion producing, communicating. It involves essentially all the combined factors that funnel into art. Personally, graphic design is connected to my life due to the fact that I already love making art. Graphic design is a universal, powerful medium- another medium of art that I enjoy. It's extremely versatile (and unlike tangible art, there is an undo button) and there is endless potential. Graphic design is the form of art that is the most resemblant of possessing it's own language. In terms of profession, in the field of film, graphic design is still significant. When I enter film, I will need the power of harnessing people's attention, and making them feel emotionally drawn and connected to whatever I decide to make.

The album cover of Angles by The Strokes is one of my favorite examples of graphic design. The colors are so opposite and vibrant, yet they match in a very attention demanding way. The plane of vision is slightly odd and skewed- resembling an optical illusion. It signifies a sort of flamboyance and oddity that is reflected in the music on the album.

1 comment: