7.11.16

Feature Story Experience

For our last project of a video feature story, we had to write an article in tandem to simulate the world of actual convergence journalism. For every video, a corresponding article is written with the same subject matter and material, but written in a narrative form. 


Writing the Piece


Writing this piece was fairly easy due to my background of personally enjoying writing. However, that was also where the struggle lied. Switching to writing entailed a certain creativity, however writing journalism is quite different. I learned that even down to using a ';', journalism pieces are very specific and to be written a distinct way. I also wasn't aware that paragraphs work in a slightly different way in which each time a new quote is introduced, it is in a stand alone paragraph. It is very technical and tedious.
Writing it was also different because even though direct quotes were taken from the video and the subject matter remained the same, it had to be different and distinct. This provided more room to elaborate on what the quotes actually meant, however; which to me makes the story stronger in expanding on what the interview was truly about and what the interviewed meant by the things they said in front of the camera. 

Video vs Article?


As compared to the video production, it was definitely easier, as all I had to do was watch my video and stay at my computer. But I think I learned a fair amount by doing it- learning about a style of writing I have not encountered. Even though I love writing, though, I think I preferred making the video a little more. 




Waking up hours before she has to depart for school, she begins her day with her own personalized art. Flashes of color contrast skin; character being demonstrated and feeling brought to fruition. Sweeping a brush or unscrewing the top of a lipstick, she finally finishes-after an hour of concentration. Every day of expression is distinctly unique from the prior, yet equally aesthetically appealing.
           
Makeup is typically regarded as a mundane aspect of becoming presentable before a class or day job. However, Blaise Keasler sees it as anything but that. Blaise devotes her time and effort to exuding her appreciation for art, self-confidence and expression through the unconventional medium of cosmetics.

"I don't sing, I don't dance, I don't do those things," Blaise said, when asked why makeup is her chosen forte. "Makeup is kind of a way for me to express myself."

The answer rings true; the look of her face changes each day reliant on her mood- the shades, the vibrancy. She does not use makeup to alter other people's perception of her or hide herself, but to rather accentuate herself, drawing herself out further for people to see.

 “I remember going to Mac one time, and I was really little, and the lady who was doing my makeup- she just put two different colors of eyeliner on me...and I just felt so cool and important, and I just want to give other people that feeling."

Makeup has always been a prevalent concept in Blaise's life, despite having only spent her high school experience so far mastering it.  Her dual-faceted love for makeup also includes ‘giving other people that feeling’- not only using it to make herself happy, but other people as well.

Jacob Downing is a thespian, who was involved in the 2016 production of Almost, Maine at Olathe Northwest. He is an example of one of these people. Blaise Keasler happened to be on the small makeup crew for this production, and ended up having Jacob as one of the actors assigned to her.

"Blaise is very clearly passionate about makeup," Downing said. "I have heard many a time about Blaise's makeup collection and interest in pursuing makeup as a career." He smiles as he recalls Blaise's intense passion for her avocation. This connection with other people is the main joy she derives from her art.

Blaise reflects on her true intentions as she concludes, "The reason I do makeup is because I like to make other people feel pretty. I like to give them that feeling of, 'Oh my God, I look so good,'. I just want to recreate the feeling I had in the Mac store as, like, a ten year old girl, like, I feel like the princess every little girl wants to be. I really like that, and I want to give that to other people as much as I can."

Whether it be hurriedly amending her lip gloss, or spending hours on an intricate look, Blaise Keasler will be content. With a passion for makeup like no other, she will continue to stun with her absolute devotion to, and skill for, her idiosyncratic interest.


.               .               .


My Concept
My concept for this feature story was focused on Blaise Keasler, a girl who does makeup for enjoyment and skill. Not only does she do makeup for herself and her own pleasure, but she primarily appreciates doing makeup on and for others. The attention was mostly on her views on her unique avocation, and briefly on someone who got to experience her love for doing makeup for others firsthand; Jacob Downing.

My Narrative

My narrative included the comparison of typical people viewing makeup as an insignificant or rushed aspect of getting ready in the morning, and Blaise- who invests lots of time and love into it. This demonstrated how unique her hobby was, and her love for something so unconventional.

The Two Interviews

I interviewed Blaise first, asking her about her past and how it arrived to doing makeup, and her general opinions in regards to it. She explained her past, present, and aspirations for the future. For her secondary interview I interviewed Jacob Downing; a prime example of someone she used to share her art. He complemented her and vice versa due to her focus on her love for doing makeup on other people- and him being one of those people. He clearly received his end of her love and energy for her craft. 

Writing the Script

Writing the script and voice-over was easier after these past couple video projects: however it was easier to be creative and appeal to less news-reminiscent phrases. I could demonstrate the vibrant contrast between her devotion to makeup and a regular person's relationship with it, or expand on the emotions she feels for it. 

The Voiceover

I recorded my voiceover several times, however, as it is difficult to become fond of one's own voice. I recorded the transition into Jacob, most importantly, as in my initial recording I did not actually mention how he correlated: I just said he was "A thespian involved in last year's production of Almost, Maine" without specifying that Blaise did his makeup for this play. Additionally, I rerecorded the intro and outro as listening to them more and more made me recognize how uncomfortable and mundane I sounded- so I amended that as well. 

The Shooting

Shooting was smooth, as I used my own camera which saved me some hassle. I know my way around my DSLR best. The lighting was sufficient and the settings were appropriate- for Blaise, at least. I figure Jacob's could have been a little more creative had I thought of it then. Other than that, shooting was the easiest aspect of the project. 

What I Like

I like this video because I got to utilize my technical skills more in editing. Most importantly, I had the chance to shoot more aesthetically pleasing video. I had the freedom of choice to shoot the B-Roll of Blaise how I wanted to; which I thought turned out very pretty. It was a good practice for skills across the board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment